- Over 10 years of software project management experience.
- Formerly head of engineering for largest paid VPN provider in the world ($4MM monthly revenue, 1+ million active users), recently acquired.
- Passionate about diving deep into systems and understanding top-to-bottom complexity.
- Rapid application prototyping experience across mobile, desktop, and backend API platforms.
- Systems architecture and implementation experience.
💻 Work Experience
December 2019 – Present
SISU Ltd. / 시수(유)Seoul, KoreaCEO
Designing and developing endpoint protection, password and identity management, and VPN solutions for customers around the world.
August 2020 – March 2021
Letter Technology, Inc.San Diego, CASoftware Engineer
Backend engineering for an awesome new bank launching soon!
March 2010 – Present
San Francisco, CA
Managing a software consulting agency in San Francisco, and leading product development, engineering, and managing third-party contractors. Currently specializing in VPN and cybersecurity, but have worked on a diverse set of projects, including:
- KVdb - A NoSQL key-value database as a service and serverless developer platform for prototyping, metrics collection, web crawling, analytics applications, and more.
- Business VPN - A cybersecurity solution and VPN service for SMBs based on our VPN Client/Server Toolkit product. Acquired by London Trust Media (makers of Private Internet Access VPN service) in 2018.
- Pilvy VPN Server - A modern VPN server solution with extensive customizability and plugin support. Offered as an on-premise license or a hosted service.
- PIA VPN for iOS - Client app for Private Internet Access VPN service. Uses generated iOS configuration profiles to deliver an easy-to-use VPN experience, instead of having users manually configure PPTP or L2TP/IPsec settings.
- IVPN Client for Mac & Windows - Developed a custom OpenVPN client for IVPN that includes critical privacy and security features like insecure WiFi detection, DNS leak prevention, and firewall blocking.
- VMware End User Computing Demo Portal - A turnkey Desktop as a Service (DaaS) that lets VMware's sales teams easily demonstrate the Horizon product suite to high-value customers.
- CloudPlay - A Mac app that lets people quickly find and play music from a variety of sources.
July 2018 – September
London Trust Media, Inc.Denver, COHead of Private Business Network
Product owner and technical team lead for a next-gen cybersecurity web filtering and endpoint protection product. Developed custom VPN client/server framework, IP packet filtering plugin architecture, DNS packet inspection and rewriting technology, and Single Sign-On (SSO). Designed end-to-end least-privilege event auditing framework with customer-controlled encryption keys.
April 2015 – February 2016
London Trust Media, Inc.Los Angeles, CAChief Technology Officer
As CTO, created and managed technology strategy for Private Internet Access, the leading paid VPN service provider in the world, as well as other initiatives in the company.
- Managed remote developer team across 3 times zones with minimal process.
- Reduced customer support costs and workload by improving diagnostics reporting and building internal tools.
- Handled technical recruitment, sourcing, interviewing candidates, negotiating offers, and onboarding.
- Triaged and evaluated security vulnerabilities from researchers as part of PIA's Whitehat Alert Security Program.
- Managed technical relationships with vendors, service providers, and B2B partners.
- Prototyped new product ideas to help executives plan future roadmap.
- Performed technical due diligence on potential startup investments and other M&A activity.
2003 – 2007
University of California, Santa CruzB.S. Computer Engineering
Presented senior design project paper “Universal Real-Time Navigational Assistance (URNA): An Urban Bluetooth Beacon for the Blind” at HealthNet 2007 workshop at ACM MobiSys 2007.
🥇 Awards & Acknowledgements
7 January, 2014
U.S. Patent - US 8,627,345
An invention that dynamically exposes user-defined database functions (stored procedures) through a web service (e.g., REST API) without requiring the schema of the underlying data to be defined beforehand. Although the initial implementation used the XML-based Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) as was popular in the late 2000s, the invention is applicable to any network transport protocol.